Thursday 9 January 2014

Interview with Wijtze Valkema

What is your greatest achievement?
Right after college in 2005 I landed an internship at Asterik Studio in Seattle. They were and still are my design heroes and everything I learned and experienced during that year is still absolutely relevant in my work today. 
How would you describe your work/style to someone who hadn't seen it?
It's a graphic shape-based, mid-century inspired illustration style that tries to capture the fun and boundaries of the screen printing process and translate it to other media. I dislike the term 'vector'.
What piece of advice would you give your 15 year old self?
Relax and enjoy the ride, because your three biggest dreams will come true. Also, you'll be making a living as an illustrator in 10 years time, so why not focus a bit already? Draw everyday. PS. Don't buy that 1990 Honda Civic, it's a piece of crap and will get your into a lot of trouble.
When are you happiest?
That time when summer turns into fall. Fun project up on the screen, cup of coffee on the
desk. The sounds of my family on the other side of the studio wall. Tony Rice on the
speakers.
What is the worst job you have had?
I worked at a flower farm for exactly one day and managed to cut off the top of my right
thumb. Lousiest job ever.
Who would play you in the movie of your life? 
Can I pick Will Arnett? I really like him.
What is your karaoke song?
Ben E. King's 'Stand By Me'.
What 5 things can't you live without?
My worn-in brogues, my '86 Martin guitar, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'The Hound Of The
Baskervilles', my bike, Tony Rice's 'Manzanita' album. 
What is the greatest invention of all time? 
The bicycle, bar none.
If you didn't do what you do, what would you do?
I worked as a bike messenger in Amsterdam for two years and that was a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment